Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

30. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 04:39 theyarecomingforyou

Dades wrote on May 13, 2012, 19:42:
I'm not sure why criticism of a technology is a personal slight towards you or me trying to make myself superior considering I don't own a plasma. I posted that if plasma as a technology doesn't succeed it was due to those factors, I didn't say anything about the success of LCDs. I never said LCD has terrible picture quality either but I'm not going to do the debate club thing over it. I'm just talking about television tech, not passing judgment on your specific TV or whatever.
You said LCD was "blurry" and that it was because of "ignorance" and "confirmation bias" that it succeeded. At the same time you stated that plasma was the "superior" technology and the only downside was its size. Even now you say you're just talking about "television tech" as if what you're stating isn't an opinion - it's fact. As I stated, LCD/LED has plenty of issues that I'm certainly not trying to defend. But if you can't see how what you said could be considered a "personal slight" then perhaps you need to think more carefully about what you post.

Kitkoan wrote on May 13, 2012, 20:36:
As for OLED tv's, I hope not. From what I understand, OLED's can lose like half their brightness in 5 years. Due this this, OLED's are great for smartphones and tablets that have an expected lifespan of 2-4 years tops so you won't notice it, but if your going to have a device that will be around longer, like a TV, it's not as good.
To be fair, both LCD and plasma had a lot of issues with early models and both technologies suffered burn-in and brightness fade. I wouldn't expect anything different from OLED. The earlier models likely won't last as long as previous technology until the technology matures. They've been working to address the issues - for instance, the colour blue used to fade considerably more than other colours but they have developed a new implementation that considerably reduces the problem.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo