Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

66. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 8, 2012, 14:44 Wetworks

bhcompy wrote on May 8, 2012, 10:22:
WoW is very much a polished and dumbed down DAoC, particularly the combat system and battleground system. At that point in time, DAoC was really on its own as a game, as it was completely different than other offerings like Anarchy Online, EQ, etc(who were all unique in their own right).

I played Dark Age of Camelot for 3 years when it came out and it was nothing like Wow.

Main focus of PVP in DAOC = persistent open world realm vs. realm vs. realm
Main focus of PVP in Wow = instanced battlegrounds and arenas.

Main focus of leveling in DAOC = sit in a camp of mobs and grind for hours until you leveled. At higher levels you had to join a waitlist for grinding groups for the privelage of grinding mobs for hours and hours.
Main focus of leveling in Wow = lore rich quests that took you from lv 1 to lv 60, all solo friendly.

End game in DAOC = Realm vs. Realm vs. Realm pvp
End game in Wow = 40 man raids

Combat in DAOC = autoattack with queued up styles. My hero used a 5.7 second spear, that means no matter what I could only attack every 5.7 seconds. If i wanted to use a particular style I would have to wait 5.7 seconds and que it up and it would take the place of the autoattack.
Combat in Wow = blend of instants, autoattacks, instant styles. I could chain several styles instantly + have autoattacks going at the same time.

Dungeons in DAOC = public
Dungeons in Wow = instanced

This comment was edited on May 8, 2012, 15:29.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo