Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 14:51 WaltC

What a thread...;) First off, I want to say that I very much enjoyed the original D1&2 games at the time they were released. IIRC, they were both very good single player games that were so much fun, in my opinion, because of the atmosphere they created for the player--the music, the narration, all of it. If you didn't play the original D1&2, then pick up a copy of Torchlight (1) by Runic--it has much of the same wonderful atmosphere of D1&2 (If you haven't played Torchlight, play it immediately!).

It's too bad, but I understand that D3 will not be single player and cannot be played offline--basically, the opposite of D1 and D2. The guy in the interview, near the end, says "You can play single-player, but we don't recommend it." How is that possible offline with Blizzard selling only the client? I also understand that D3 will use a fixed camera. OK, so that lets me out--not interested at all anymore. Absence of single-player/offline play for a Diablo sequel seems like a nutty design decision if ever there was one. Cameras were indeed often fixed a decade or more ago, but it was because of the hardware technology limits of the day, and programming decisions relative to writing to the lowest common technology denominator of the day--as opposed to some kind of appealing design decision.

If you have played Witcher 1, then you'll know what kind of camera I prefer. In Witcher 1 you can zoom all the way in to First Person, out to third person, and still further out to an overhead view. It's your choice. (I think it is one of the things I really missed in Witcher 2, which has a fixed, third-person camera view.) Today I think it's silly not to include a zoom-able camera, like the one found in Witcher 1 and lots of other games, actually.

So for these reasons I will likely skip D3. T2 looks very promising. I'm only hoping that Runic hasn't ruined the Torchlight series by changing the game play to cartoon graphics as shown in the game's opening trailer.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo