Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

63. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 7, 2012, 09:26 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on May 7, 2012, 01:07:
Slashman wrote on May 7, 2012, 01:01:
Jerykk wrote on May 7, 2012, 00:51:
None of that sounds especially appealing. And this is from someone who actually likes complex combat systems.

I haven't played any of the games though, so I can'/t swear to it. It just doesn't sound very fun.

It's definitely an acquired taste. You basically can't make any mistakes, which in turn makes the combat much more intense. You have to scout your enemies and think carefully about when and where to engage. I find this more appealing than the combat in other action RPGs like Kingdoms of Amalur or Elder Scrolls, where you just wade in to battle and mash LMB as quickly as possible.

I think I'd prefer a middle ground. Interesting combat shouldn't necessarily be so painstaking that you can't sometimes just go with your instincts and rain blows down on the enemy(within reason and depending on the enemy).

That's the main reason why the combat in PB's games is loathed by so many people. There isn't really any middle-ground. Every fight is slow and methodical (until you basically become a god at the end of the game) and you will inevitably die many, many times. Since each enemy has its own distinct attack patterns, it takes a while to memorize them all and become good enough to consistently counter them.

I have no issues with more complex combat, it's just never been pulled off well in PB games. Shoddy hit detection, unresponsiveness, you name it. They as a studio have essentially zero quality control and never polish anything. You'd think after using essentially the same type of combat system for 5 games now it should be better than it is.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo