Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 4, 2012, 18:26 Endo

NKD wrote on May 4, 2012, 08:46:
LgFriess wrote on May 4, 2012, 08:22:
http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#0

Ugh. After seeing this in yesterdays thread, I'm even more disappointed.

When I cancelled my SWTOR account, a survey popped up asking why. After writing the numerous reasons basically stating "boredom" I finished with, "WoW burnout has caused me to cancel my SWTOR subscription." I actually ENJOYED both games. Played WoW for years. SWTOR for 4 months. But that game style is just so dead. At least for a game that will want you to play for a long stretch of time.

Being a veteran of EQ and its various descendants over the years, I think a large part of the problem with where that style of MMO has gone is the overt focus on making things easier and easier and more casual. Yes, that approach nets you a larger subscriber base, but a simple fact of life is that, with few exceptions, you don't value something that came to you at no effort. That's true online and offline. I think most of us had parents, grandparents, or teachers that told us that things which come at great effort taste so much sweeter.

It's the reason I have never sold my EQ1 account. I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into that shit. Even though I haven't played in 8 years, I'm not getting rid of it. But my WoW account? I've put even more years into that than I did into EQ, but I don't care about it one bit, because while I invested more years, I invested significantly less effort.

The major appeal that style of MMO had was that it was sort of like real life for regular people. You got out of it what you put into it. You had to really put in a lot of effort if you wanted to succeed beyond the average joe.

But now it's more like real life for celebrities than real life for regular people. Loot and accomplishment thrown upon you for little to no effort. And we know how that often ends for celebrities: They end up dying of a drug overdose because despite having everything they could want, none of it had any meaning, just like a lot of today's MMOs.

Now MMOs are less and less about making a virtual world in which you can carve out a virtual life, and more about just being a giant, disposable, forgettable theme park.

Detractors of the MMO genre often say they don't want their games to feel like work. That's fine for any other game, but once you try to make a virtual world, the only thing that gives anything value or meaning is the effort you put into it. It has no inherent value of its own.

I want MMOs to get back to being products for those of us who really enjoy the concept of a virtual world, not just a product designed to cash in on popped collar bros looking for a Facebook-with-swords concept.
I'm 100% with you, even though I never got to play EQ back in its prime.

I've been playing SW:TOR since Dec. 17, but I'm just about done. I'm not renewing my subscription again once the free time they gave runs out. But you know what account I've kept active that entire time, despite not really playing the game? My Eve account. And I'll continue to do so for a long time.

As for the leaked details on the TES MMO, as soon as I saw the "120 hours to level cap" I knew I probably wasn't going to be interested in ever playing the game. Then I found the leaked list of details, which I got about 2/3 of the way through before I was so disinterested in the whole thing that I just moved on.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo