Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 17:43 Creston

Flatline wrote on May 3, 2012, 17:27:
Creston wrote on May 3, 2012, 16:46:
I never really got into the original CoH. I thought at the time that it deviated from the established RTS formally too much (imagine my surprise when DoW2 came out...) and the really precise "this is needed to counter that and that is needed to counter that" stuff was just annoying. there were also way too many missions of the "These are your forces, and they're all you get. Now go attack Hitler's Third Legion with them!" variety.

It also had a just plain stupid final mission. "What's the ONE thing that really pisses RTS gamers off? Oh, it's when they have to fight in multiple areas of the map at once. Let's make a map where they have to do so in three (four?) different locations! GIGGLELULZ!"

So... not terribly excited about this one, but Relic makes good enough games that it always warrants to keep an eye on them.

Creston

Are you really arguing over not being able to hit ctrl-a and sending a massive overwhelming mob to win the level?

Once you got tanks rolling out they more or less won. You might need some infantry with bazookas to take out AT guns, but otherwise tanks + machine guns = win. You'd just have to flank the tanks or it'd be a long, brutal slugfest.

And considering that every previous mission dealt with area control, expanding the game to cap & hold didn't strike me as that big of a stretch.

No, I'm saying that with every "control point", I needed to be able to counter like six or seven different things, and that became annoying. And yes, the idea was that you played the control map thing "fluidly", but that seemed like horseshit to me. It's not capture the fucking flag, it's a strategy game that tries to evoke WW2 combat, and I can guarantee you that no WW2 commander ever figured "Ah well, let's just fight fluidly and see what happens."

Observe, Conquer and Fortify is what I like to do, and CoH didn't really work that way.

I'm not saying that made it a bad game, just that it didn't really do what I like my RTS to do.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo