Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

21. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2012, 16:11 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 16:02:
Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 11:04:
The author needs to read more history. This is nothing new. And like everything else in life, it's cyclical. In fact, all that militarization has already been declining the last few years an continues to do so. Even the dumbest, staunchest military supporter realizes that a military is of no use if there's nothing to protect. Couple with all those people leaving the military and the focus becomes spending on jobs, education, infrastructure, etc. where it should be.

To be fair, there is one sector that is militarizing that spooks me and that's law enforcement.

There are police forces with tanks and missile launchers and high-end military weaponry. Military contractors pump hundreds of millions of dollars a year in high-end military equipment for pennies on the dollar to police departments. The Occupy movement crackdowns showed, among other things, that police are having the same difficulties with social unrest that the military does because more and more police are equipped with military weaponry.

Links to what I'm talking about:
Salon

The Atlantic

Forbes

Indeed. I spent 12 months in Iraq as an infantryman and watching how the law enforcement sector has progressed since I got out is sickening. No-knock warrants, SWAT raids on families in the middle of the night. It has become shoot first, ask questions later, and the cult of the brotherhood makes sure it stays covered up. I'll be the first to admit that the military isn't much better in that regard, especially when you get into combat arms positions like infantry, tankers, and cavalry, but there is a difference between war and public service. What the law enforcement community is doing now is turning public service into a war on American citizens.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo