Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

237. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 11:03 Quinn

Bhruic wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 08:12:
To all but the most anal retentive saying "it's not singleplayer" would be shorthand for "it's not really singleplayer because its design is so focused on multiplayer."

Yes, I agree. But your longer sentence is just as incorrect as your shorthand is, as has already been demonstrated. Repeatedly.

You having no interest in playing it singleplayer is not synonomous with it having no singleplayer. Perhaps you should stop suggesting it does.

edit: A nice third-party summation of the situation from:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/how-diablo-iiis-drm-will-affect-you/

"However, crucially, itís a mode of the game thatís deliberately programmed to work, with NPC story-based characters to join your party and interact with you, and a single-player plot to hack through. It is, undeniably, designed to be played as a single-player game."

Been watching this... debate... by the sidelines a while now. Biased by the fact that mostly what comes out of StingingVelvet's mouth is what I agree with, it took me a while to realize that this time I simply agree with Bhruic.

As he states, Diablo is both a singleplayer and multiplayer game. Period. It has a plot, it has NPC companions, etc. HOWEVER! That doesn't mean that singleplayer didn't have to suffer in the development of the multiplayer and the system built around it.

An example, please read:

Because of this overblown AH feature, people probably won't find that extremely awesome and almost imbalanced item they normally would find in these kind of games, because that would mean they'll be found in high quantity in the AH which will make their price drop. Like in WoW.. they don't want that. Rare items must be REALLY RARE. Epic items must be beyond hard to find and legendary weapons (aka that extremely awesome and almost imbalanced item I mentioned above) damn near IMPOSSIBLE to find. Because gear is a big deal in Diablo games, this example alone gave a kidneyshot to the singleplayer experience.

I completely understand StingingVelvet's point, but it's simply not the factual truth. It's hardly a matter of debate that Bhruic is right, to be honest.

That's my 2 cents. Hope I didn't pissed anybody off by chiming in.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo