Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2012, 03:21 Jerykk

No I'm not, that's just all you are seeing because you've got blinders on.

If your argument revolves around rights and entitlements, then yes, it's about legality and not practical results.

They've already got their compensation. That's all they get. The publisher makes a bunch of copies of the game, and ships them to stores, which pay the publisher for them. That's the compensation they get for them. What happens to them after the fact is irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant at all. Without used sales, stores would only be able to sell new copies. Once they run out of new copies, they'd have to order more from the publisher. Used copies help retailers avoid buying more copies from publishers, thus denying them compensation that they would have earned had used copies not been available. Why do you think GameStop loves used sales so much? It's pure profit for them. And before you say "Oh, well, those wouldn't have been new sales anyway," keep in mind that GameStop typically sells used games for only $5-10 less then new ones. I'm pretty sure most people would be willing to spend that much more to buy new copies if used ones weren't available.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo