Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

1. Re: Leaked Valve Employee Handbook? Apr 21, 2012, 13:47 RollinThundr

Valve owns its intellectual property. This is far from the norm, in our industry or at most entertainment contentproducing companies. We didn’t always own it all. But thanks to some legal wrangling with our first publisher after Half-Life shipped, we now do. This has freed us to
make our own decisions about our products.

translation: after we loopholed our way and screwed over Vivendi/Sierra who were pressuring us to release a product sometime in the same decade we had contracted to.

Why do I need to pick my own projects?
We’ve heard that other companies have people allocate a percentage of their time to self-directed projects. At Valve,that percentage is 100. Since Valve is flat, people don’t join projects because they’re told to. Instead, you’ll decide what to work onafter asking yourself the right questions (more on that later). Employees vote on projects with their feet (or desk wheels). Strong projects are ones in which people can see demonstrated value; they staff up easily. This means
there are any number of internal recruiting efforts constantly under way.

Edit: holy shit no wonder nothing ever ships.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo