Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 01:10 eunichron

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 01:01:
Does anyone have any experience with D3's online requirement causing lag? I'm curious about that part of it, whether the stupid thing lags in SP because of their servers being overloaded.

Yes. It was a problem during some periods of the beta, but usually only immediately following patches, or when they began stress testing. Generally once the kinks of a major patch or stress test got worked out I never had any major issues with lag. My ping usually fluctuated between 80-150 during peak hours, and the latency wasn't noticeable.

I think most of the assets are local, but when there was bad latency there would be rubber banding of your character and the monsters, so I imagine along with the DRM of it there is probably some server checks going on to prevent things like speed and maphacks. Though, last I heard they didn't actually have any anti-cheat measures in place during the beta as there are already maphacks and other cheats available. There are also emulated servers available, and I imagine they'll be around for retail as well.

[EDIT]
Now that I actually look at videos of the emulated servers it appears that no monsters spawn and you can't access your stash. You can use your skills though, so I imagine that things like monster spawns and item stash/inventory is stores server-side.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2012, 01:21.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo