Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

208. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 08:05 StingingVelvet

Veterator wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 06:26:
If they stopped your friends from pirating, would they buy stuff? Would they buy as much stuff as they had downloaded? Could they buy as much stuff as they downloaded? Could they afford to buy half? A fourth? A tenth?

They wouldn't go buy a thousand blu-rays but would they spend more money on entertainment? Of course they would. This idea that most pirates would just completely stop gaming or watching movies and shit cold turkey if piracy was stopped is such silliness. People who have been gaming consistently for decades are just gonna completely stop rather than buy some games? I doubt it.

Again, the extent to which they would spend is debatable and varies on income and such, but no one can ever convince me companies aren't losing money.

Just look at the process like buying shoes...they got some cheap ass shoes out there and some really expensive shoes out there. If they make you want to chop off your feet because they are so uncomfortable, it doesn't really matter how inexpensive/expensive they were...you got robbed. Imagine trying to find out what shoes fit the best without being able to try them on, and they came with no helpful sizing or other information to make a decision on.

Comparing media to physical goods never really ends well. In any case with games at least walkthrough videos, reviews and forum posts offer plenty of pre-purchase info. I know a ton of people here find that idea ridiculous, but honestly for me it is 100% true. I watch quicklooks on giantbomb or youtube and read reviews and then make my purchasing decision... I am rarely if ever wrong.

This is pretty much how they want you to buy everything, unseen, untested, etc. No reviews, no nothing. You buy it the first week it comes out, pay maximum price and never say a bad thing about it. Because if you say something bad about it, you probably didn't get the true "retail" copy and are complaining about the inferior "pirate" version. Hell if it causes your house to burn down because it made your computer catch fire, you keep your pirate mouth shut....never mind you have a receipt and other people complained about the issues who also have receipts. Pirates will say or do anything.

They want you to do that shit but in no way am I saying you should. Consumers hold all the power, they control pricing and product through what they buy. If most people accept 6 hour campaigns, DLC and $60 prices that just means you are in the minority for not doing so, it doesn't mean the companies are "wrong."

And what that has to do with piracy is beyond me... you don't need to pirate to send a message, just not buy the damn thing. Entitlement all up in that shit.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo