Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

108. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:58 ViRGE

Jdrez wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 12:39:
*Edit to add*: also, it's tiring that nobody in the industry admits how much Xbox piracy there is. I know plenty of people who simply flashed the optical drive and download games to DVD-R's.

The reason there's less piracy on the console toys is that millions of non-geeks have a console and most of them don't know how to pirate for those.
Well there's two reasons really. You've covered the first one: it's hard. Compared to downloading a file and running it, modding an 360 isn't nearly as easy. People still pirate of course, but I've never seen any evidence that it's anywhere near PC piracy on a per-capita basis. 360 piracy is still mostly in the realm of a smaller number of competent, capable techies.

The second reason it's lower is that unlike the PC there's a death penalty if you get caught. Microsoft can and will ban modded 360s from XBL forever, and while this doesn't stop you from playing SP games, there are a lot of people who like MP games and a lot of other neat services you need XBL for. Lacking any kind of XBL access makes the 360 a good deal less valuable (both literally and metaphorically). This is as opposed to the PC, where pirating Bulletstorm didn't get you permanently thrown off of Call of Duty and such.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo