Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

87. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 11:53 Verno

Games as a whole aren't going to step backwards in time just to make money.

Oh I think you would find many people who would argue they have done exactly that in many regards. Graphics aren't everything.

That said, I agree some game properties are better with larger budgets but the dev budgets themselves aren't really what people are criticizing. It's the tertiary stuff like marketing buys that are starting to dwarf actual dev costs that is alarming.

You also can't look at consoles and say that those games aren't making any money, when it's the primary source of income for the console makers. The hardware is sold at a loss, they're making money hand over fist on the games themselves, and often on new franchises.

I'm not sure the console model is sustainable going forward. Both Microsoft and Sony actually lost money on their console efforts until about a year ago. The only company to really "make money hand over fist" was Nintendo who sold their console at a profit.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo