Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

86. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 11:29 Xombie

ASeven wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 10:00:
Verno puts it down nicely. The growing exponential costs of developing a game is ensuring that publishers rarely see any profit from their AAA release due to the insane costs of making a AAA game today. As Verno says well you don't need a big budget to make a big, great game. Amnesia, Terraria, Minecraft, Frozen Synapse amongst others are perfect examples of that.

Those things aren't just "lower" budget though, they're practically no-budget. We're not even approaching the budget of a "A" title, let alone "AAA" when talking about these indie games. Minecraft was done by one guy, and its graphics are from the stone age. Games as a whole aren't going to step backwards in time just to make money.

These games have an audience, but there are types of games that do in fact [i]need[/i] a larger budget. Just like the increased popularity of indie films weren't the death knell of the blockbuster sci-fi epic, indie games aren't the answer to lowering the budget for something like Warcraft, Half Life, Battlefield 3, or TES. From the sales of these games it's obvious that people aren't dropping high-end graphics to play sprite-based side-scrollers.

You also can't look at consoles and say that those games aren't making any money, when it's the primary source of income for the console makers. The hardware is sold at a loss, they're making money hand over fist on the games themselves, and often on new franchises.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo