Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

157. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 6, 2012, 00:40 Flatline

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 20:22:
Also, I disagree with the fact that open ended endings is a sign of bad writing. A lot of literature and movies have endings that are open to interpretation. Blade Runner, Inception, just off of the top of my head (Not that ME3 is in the same league).

No. Stop. You are not fucking comparing Blade Runner & Inception to ME3.

Those movies (okay Bladerunner if you're watching the Director's or Final Cut) ends with asking a single, solitary question of the viewer that has been set up all along the fucking story.

Blade Runner: What is humanity? Answer: Uncertainty. It's what Deckard nods at in the last moments. (It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?)

Inception: Is this a dream? Answer: No it's the real world (In all of the waking scenes the main character is wearing his wedding ring. It's on in the last shot of the movie, you can see it for about 5 frames). (major spoilers for people who haven't cracked out on Inception)

The point is, those "open ended" movies actually have a laser focus in their openness. They reiterate the original, central, core theme of the story. ME3 just sprays shit all over the core themes of all 3 games and walks away leaving a stinking mess. In fact, the ending states that the antithesis of the whole trilogy, that being inevitability and the simple supremacy of technology over organics, is the real thing. No *real* questions are asked about the themes you're playing with. No real analysis. ME3 is basically The Matrix Revolutions all over again. It's lazy, poor writing, and really a shit ending to a good promise.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo