Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

35. Re: NOLF2 Mar 10, 2003, 13:42 Ratty

Sorry Jedi Master. I did not mean to put opinions in your mouth. Your comments were almost all critical so I did assume you didn't like NOLF2.

These are interesting comments. Yes it seems to be very tough for developers to create sequels because of the two camps described. I've always suspected my expectations for sequels were unrealistic since I have universally hated just about all of them. As you can all tell I'm in the "they changed it too much" camp. Just about every sequel to a game I have originally loved I end up hating. A lot of the time it has been because they took away some power or strength in the name of "balance," and cool things you used to be able to do you couldn't anymore (and I'm talking about SP games here, not MP). I loved Blood but they watered down all the weapons so they hardly did any damage in Blood 2. I adored Dungeon Keeper but I disliked DK2 for the same reasons (Like NOLF2 I'm in the minority on DK2. Most people loved it). I loved Diablo but hated Diablo 2, but really only because they eliminated in-game saving. I liked both Thief and Thief 2 but the sequel was clearly inferior to the original and I felt they really screwed up some of the levels. I loved Heretic but hated Heretic 2 but that was just because of the change to 3rd person view (again Heretic 2 was widely heralded by everyone else who played it). So I admit I'm too picky or too unrealistic or overly tinged by nostalgia.

But there are a few sequels I thought were as good or better than the originals: Jedi Outcast. Brilliant game. And Raven did change quite a few things, like the RPG elements, but I thought they were all an improvement. Hexen 2. This couldn't have been more different than the first Hexen (so I'm not complaining that they changed it too much), but I loved it even *more* than the original. Daggerfall was even better than Arena (but Morrowind not as good). And who can forget System Shock 2? The entire Redneck Rampage series only got better and better.

I expect Elite Force 2 will be better than the first, but that wouldn't be very hard to do. I am very interested to see whether I will like Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 since I loved the originals so very much. In Thief 3, things like guards seeing your shadow makes me nervous. The stealth in the first two versions was unrealistic, but the simplicity made it all a hell of a lot of fun. I worry they will complicate things up too much. I've never been a graphics whore. How the game looks is the least important factor to me, so I really could care less about the engine they use.

Okay, now I KNOW nobody will ever read this. It's two days old!

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 13:47.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo