Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 2, 2012, 23:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 20:09:
Dades wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 18:42:
That's a pretty iffy argument. If it's an online game, then most likely your used copy is tied to an account and won't work anyway. As for maintaining servers, that's only done as long as it's profitable anyway, and then they are shut down, as we see happen all the time.

Preach it. Any business model where the price of simple operating expenses like servers isn't priced into the box is extremely flawed and can't be blamed on the customers. The servers and associated labour is often retasked from one game to another while abandoning the older software anyway. Many other industries deal with these things all the time and don't demand handouts from customers because they have to deal with resale.

Are the greedy console companies going to give people lower prices in exchange for their loss of rights? More sales like PC customers get? Fuck no.

I said flat-out it wasn't a particularly strong argument, but it is a distinguishing feature relative to the other industry verno mentioned.

Movie rentals aren't quite the same because rentals existed before the movie industry.
Huh?

Beamer wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 20:09:
And things like halfpricedbooks aren't comparable to GameStop because they aren't publically traded with a market cap larger than virtually anyone actually making games.
What difference does that make? So they're big. They're far from the only game in town (NPI). For movies we've had Blockbuster and later Netflix, among thousands of smaller companies. For books we've had publicly funded libraries as well as thousands of for-profit companies. Used music stores are just as prolific. I really don't see this argument holding any water.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo