Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 12:26 HorrorScope

wonkawonka wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 12:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 11:47:
So yes you have to be more the man stat wise to play full on action, but all action based RPG's work like that. The difficulty settings in the game do allow it and felt good.
The action model of DA2 combined with the ability to customize the AI's tactics (which is critical in full on action in this game) made a very entertaining game playing it that way.

Ah but this is where I disagree with you as to the quality of the game. Yes, I did get entertainment out of that play through, but the target market that can enjoy it is infinitesimal. Because the game wasn't specifically made to be enjoyed that way!

• Useless higher difficulties like nightmare

• Need to minmax your char

• Need to highly optimize your follower AI

• Need to learn every little trick that you can only figure out after you've played enough to reach higher levels (20)

• If I were to have designed DA2 to be played as an action game, I would have modified the PC powers/spells, rebalanced the difficulty ratios, and certainly made tweaking follower AI much more accessible.

DA2 is neither a tactical game nor an easily picked up action game. It can be made to be enjoyable, but only after tweaking the hell out of it, and that's why it tanked. In their quest to make DA2 accessible, BioWare failed miserably.

Right. And that is a big beef I have with pause. You can play it way too many ways and it's not very easy to balance when one guy plays full action and another plays pure pause. If you only have an action based game, you know what the players will be doing. If you only have a turn based game, you know what they players will be doing. Pause is like the grey world of gaming, imo.

Subject

Optional
    Login Email   Password Remember Me
    If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
    Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo