Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

63. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 16, 2012, 08:48 Verno

Teddy wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 07:41:
The point was very simple. When the base engine is already made for you, and all you're doing is throwing in new content with a tweak or two here and there in terms of technical differences then the game is going to take significantly less time and cost significantly less to make than one where the base engine needs to be created or needs drastic alteration to use. Less time coding, less time debugging = less cost. It's pretty basic logic.

I can't agree with this, they made an overwhelming majority of new content for every piece they reused. I see your point about the engine but Bethesda licensed the engine as well, it wasn't an inhouse creation. Sure the R&D time on engine extension and setting up things like the combat system was a lot higher for them but it doesn't make Obsidians accomplishments any less impressive.

They did an amazing job with FO:NV and really deserved to be rewarded for it instead of being hung on some lame contract term.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo