Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

180. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 01:12 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 00:38:
tron wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:47:
D3 is going to require online play, and they're doing it to make money and to try to prevent cheats/dupes/ect. it seems like in here you have to believe one or the other, and believe it vehemently at that. can anyone really blame Blizzard for wanting to make money? the only reason anyone starts a business is to make money. and some of their arguments in regards to requiring BNet play do make sense. of course they're not going to come out and say "we're doing it to make money", because it would be unprofessional.

i'm self-employed, and i tell all of my clients that i started my business because i wanted to help people, which is 100% true. but i obviously also want to make money. i don't need to say it, it's just a fact they we both (my clients and i) understand without saying it.

why do people have to become so angry when a business tries to find new ways to make money? and why do they feel the need to try and convince everyone else to come around to their way of thinking?

as for me, i'm eagerly awaiting the game and will glady pay $100 for the CE. i wish the game didn't require a BNet connection, but it does so i'll just have to live with it. all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything. i lived with it on StarCraft 2, and yes, it was annoying when the servers were down when I wanted to play, but i managed to survive.

i don't see why all of this is such a big deal.

I agree. I am opening a video game store because I want to make money, and I don't want to do it working for anyone else anymore. But, I also give more for used games - and resell them for less - than Gamestop. Half of that is because I think it sucks that Gamestop gives you $15 for a new release you bought 2 days ago and then sells it for $55 used, but the other half is because I think that in the long run my ratio will make me more money because of repeat business and stealing customers from Gamestop.

I don't think anything businesses do is entirely altruistic, but for the most part it's not always evil either.

Will Blizzard make more money from the way they set up DIII? Possibly. Will it cut down on the aggravation of playing with cheaters? Possibly.

Will it incite riots on the intertubes? MOST DEFINITELY.

Does your storefront actually stock PC games? Last time I went to a Gamestop (about 6 weeks ago) the PC section was in a small corner in the back of the store... I don't think it was even lit. Even though I buy most of my PC games digitally these days, I'd kill to have a nice quaint video game store to visit for those games that I do buy boxes for.

Anyway, if their intention from the beginning was to include a real money auction house and an integrated SP/MP experience (for those without the beta that don't know, you can convert your SP game into an MP game at any time), then it follows logically that they would do everything possible to control dupers and item hackers, which then leads to always online DRM. Following that line of thinking all of their choices make sense. I don't fully support it, I've had issues with it in the beta (response/lag issues, which hopefully are just because it is beta), but it is a good game regardless.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo