Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

138. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 8, 2012, 12:17 Verno

Eh I don't know, many people seem pretty positive or neutral about the whole thing. I don't see "everyone" saying anything, just the natural cycle of concerns that would accompany this sort of announcement from any company. It's no real surprise as this crowd isn't exactly the target market for the device, many PC users pride themselves on building their own system. Personally I do it because I like having options and customization, if a Steam Box can do its thing while giving me that then they can make definite inroads on people here.

On the other hand its essentially a console, a static hardware platform with some nebulous possibility of upgrading but realistically if devs target it then they won't want a segmenting user base and will push for the bottom barrel. In this case the bottom barrel sounds pretty good but thats only in the context of the here and now. Hardware upgrade cycles and new consoles on the horizon will change that pretty quickly.

Still though, exciting stuff. A Steam Box could easily double as an HTPC, NAS or etc. Perhaps the price would be reasonable after all if it consolidates that many functions.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2012, 12:40.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo