Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 5, 2012, 02:21 Bhruic

Exactly my point. Smart is clearly a fan of space sims. He's been making them for almost 20 years. However, being a fan of specific genre doesn't make you a good designer.

Ok, but your point is irrelevant. Derek Smart is a bad designer in general. So him being a fan is irrelevant. My point was that someone who is a good designer, but hasn't worked in a specific genre, can still be a good designer for that genre, if they've done the research (ie, played the games).

I don't think he has sufficient experience with designing tactical shooters.

Yes, I understand that. And yet, it's still not really relevant. There are plenty of good designers that worked on games in genres they didn't have experience with who made great games. That's because they were good in general.

The more experience you have, the better you'll be able to predict and handle potential obstacles.

Having experience in the genre would help with the first, but any experience would help with the second. And while he might not be able to predict all the obstacles, that doesn't mean he can't overcome them when they pop up.

Again, refer to Derek Smart. Smart has lots of experience designing games and he has lots of experience with space sims, but that hasn't stopped him from making lousy space sims.

I'm confused, are you arguing my point now? You're basically saying that having experience in a specific genre doesn't mean you're going to make good games in that genre. Exactly. Which means that having experience in that genre is a secondary concern after whether you're actually good in general.

Another good example is Bioware. When they started working on Mass Effect, they didn't really have any experience working on shooters. I have no doubt that many members of the team loved shooters but that alone wasn't enough to get good results. Predictably, ME wasn't a very good shooter but the RPG and story elements helped carry the game to success.

Actually, that's a really poor example, because there's no indication that making ME1 a shooter was a priority. The focus of ME1 was clearly on the RPG elements (and it was marketed as an RPG). It wasn't until ME2 came along that they switched focus, and made the shooter elements primary.

That has no correlation with anything that's going to be going on with this project.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo