Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

110. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 18:57 CJ_Parker

Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 18:34:
eunichron wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 17:58:
With those proposed specs I doubt they could build a capable rig for less than $400, and highly doubt they could sell it for less than $500. The next generation of consoles is going to catch up in terms of graphics (at least DX11.1 standard) anyway. The rumor claims that it is going to use mobile graphics, I think the biggest move Valve could make is use an MXM based GPU (if I recall there is an MXM GTX 580m board), allowing users to buy cheap upgrades through Steam so that their system can stay current to PC specs.
The consoles are cheaper because they are crappier.

The margins are far less than $100 on most computers in that price range and if valve was smart, they would sell it at cost (they'd more than make up the difference selling steam games through it). IMHO It would be silly to build a mobile based one, the parts are more expensive and less capable (similar mobile model names are usually a mere 50% of the speed of desktop). They'd be better off just building a smaller desktop form factor.

As for cost, its less than one might think.

$200 for i7 CPU (yes, they can be found for this price)
$50 for a name brand micro ATX 1155 mobo (only need one x16 slot, and its small physically)
$35 for 8 gb ram
$80 for 2tb hdd (prices are finally getting down near what they used to be for hdds)
$130 for a radeon 6870, which is MORE than fast enough to game at 1080p

Huh, would you look at that. We are only up to $495 for all the core components. And those are the prices I as an end buyer can achieve, presumably valve could get them for less in quantity.

Interesting. So we don't need a case and a power supply? Oops.
And good luck finding decent low cost parts that will allow to supply this kind of setup with the necessary reliable power and cooling. We're easily at $600+ now for anything that isn't going to guarantee Xbox levels of RROD failure rates.
Besides no one in their right mind is going to plop down a rig with an ATI 6870 into their living room. That thing is a screamer unless you go with one of the substantially more expensive models with alternative high end cooling.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo