Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

30. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 4, 2012, 17:04 Dmitri_M

Prez wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 16:25:
The tac shooter community is a passionate one but it was never larger than UT or Quake during the 1999 to 2004 glory days of tac shooters,...

but I believe the number of people who miss the hardcore tactical shooter of the "glory days" you mention isn't at all insignificant. I am thinking it's the relative lack of confidence people are being instilled with by the nature of this particular project is what is keeping it from taking off thus far. Just speculating here of course; suppose it could be that there just aren't enough of us anymore.

Groundbranch was meant to fill the tactical shooter niche and that never got much attention over the course of 4 years. I know about it because I still play tactical shooters. The guy behind it was involved in all the classic tac shooters. It never get's a word anywhere, perhaps a fault of the devs not marketing it to anyone other than tac shooter fans (not many left to market to..) The genre is dead, and the dribble of money into this new's items kickstarter is confirmation of that.

I don't believe a developers for-money-credits carry any weight in this particular instance. I worked for a time on a certain well known shooter, and sad to say the devs there believed their fans were all idiots, and most of them were just pulling a salary with no interest in the sort of shooter they were making. Colour me jaded.

Schafer get's a boatload of cash because the games he makes have very broad appeal. I can also see why most gamers would ignore tac shooters since "it's just a shooter". The subtle differences between dying easily and having to play carefully escape many. Back in the day there were a lot of players who could hardly differentiate between CS and R6 except that R6 was "too hard".

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2012, 17:26.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo