Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

84. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 3, 2012, 09:50 ^Drag0n^

shihonage wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 05:46:
Quake 4 was a good single-player game. Much better than Doom3.

Raven. Now that they are Activision, and id is Bethesda, I wonder what is going to happen to their games on a technical level. Many of their (successful) games were based on idTech. I did notice that they were one of the plythora of hands on the patient for CoD:MW3. Makes sense, as that engine roots back to idtech3 or something (but is so derivative that, like valve, it is no longer considered an id engine).

Quake Wars is a fucking awesome multiplayer game, and it's a pity that it's been dying off. It's just so freaking deep and atmospheric and generally amazing.

Agreed. Splash Damage nailed objective-based multiplayer. This was the commercialized version of game play from the free Wolfenstein: Enemy Terretory MP game, and pretty much everyone loved that one too. I think they are in the Bethesda fold (they made Brink), so we may well see them using idTech5 in the future.

Prey was a pretty ok game too.

I thought the idea was great, but it later seemed like the aborted child of Duke Nukem and Doom in terms of atmosphere after the abduction. That and the plot was a little too predictable.

Prey 2 Looks awesome, though. Looks very Blade Runner with some cool parkour running thrown in (I enjoyed Mirror's Edge). It uses an updated IdTech4 engine, and again, the dev is under Bethesda now, so they'll have access to idTech5, assuming that's what id & Bethesda want to do.

None of those _games_ were actually made by id software.

Q3TA was the last id game I really loved. Doom3 needed a Tac-Lite, as switching between the gun and a lightsource just sucked. Cops hold a handheld light under their pistols in similar situations; it was annoying that you could not.

My biggest disappointment with Rage has nothing to do with graphics or the engine, but everything to do with the game mechanic and map design: I HATE invisible walls. HATE them. Nothing takes immersion away faster. If i wander off, kill me, make me fall to my death, let me get overwhelmed by a pack of wild animals, but don't get so lazy in your map design that you put invisible ropes everywhere to keep me on track. That made it feel VERY Call of Duty, and not "open end world" as was advertised.

That and the abrupt ending. It felt like the game ended at chapter 3 of a 14 chapter book.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo