Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: DMS ♥s Steam Feb 24, 2012, 14:32 Dev

Krovven wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 12:42:
Verno wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 08:37:
They're hiring Dev, go submit a resume since you're so well rounded in these areas

Yes please. Anything to get Dev to shut the fuck up about his constant know-it-all harping over miniscule Steam downtime. Think you can do better Dev, put your money where your mouth is.

Steam has far far less than 1% downtime which is way beyond acceptable in any industry. Your home is probably without power more often per year than Steam is inaccessible.
I never said I was a world expert on servers. That would be the kinda people valve hires.

The downtime of steam tends to not be the entire service, and it tends to happen only during bigger sales and releases, which makes it a bigger deal than the overall percent might suggest. For instance, there were a LOT of new people during the Christmas sale (even discounting all the spam accounts who were exploiting the 1 cent humble bundles to exploit valve's gift event). Nearly every single day of that sale around 10am PST, there were problems with steam. If I was totally new to steam and I was checking it out while there were problems, I wouldn't feel very confident about buying games there. In fact, I might want to look at that crappy origin instead.

Its also quite easy to see where the problem lies, since when things happen one can check the publicly provided steam stats on content server loading. I don't "know-it-all" and its not necessary to do so to see where the problem is. One can also see which parts of steam go down and when to get more hints as to where the problem is. Even if I'm totally 100% wrong as to the problem, that doesn't change the fact there ARE problems, and they happen repeatedly, and they should be fixed.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2012, 14:54.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo