Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2012, 12:48 Will W

I use a 21" Webber Smokey Mountain smoker. I can easily fit 12+ racks of ribs on the smoker, using rib racks so they don't lay flat. I've done 2 pork butts and 6 racks at once without trouble as well, and I'd say depending on the size you could most likely fit 3 butts per shelf (2 shelves).

Since the shelves are stacked, doing a brisket limits your space since you put a foil pan on the bottom shelf to catch the juice for slicing time.

There are accessories available like a pizza stone that can make for some fun meals (I love smoked pizza). I've also got a silicone insulating cover (similar to the oven mitts) that lets me smoke all winter long, and I'm in the same climate area as you.

It is a charcoal and wood smoker, so there isn't the convenience and temperature control of gas or electric. I use Royal Oak lump charcoal and typically will get bags of wood chunks (not chips). If you're looking for more of a "set it and (almost) forget it" style of smoking, definitely go with a gas or electric model.

Of course, if you're interested in getting a really nice offset smoker...Meadow Creek in Lancaster PA makes some great smokers. Amish built, of course! They've got an auction and open house/BBQ on April 14th weekend. It's a nice trip to check out their smokers and eat some great free food (whole hog, pulled pork, chicken, you name it). And right across the street is the HUGE place they build the sheds at!

<EDIT>
Forgot to mention, you also need the CyberQ for your smoker! Lets you log your temperate and whatnot and monitor your smoker from any computer/smart phone. It also makes temperature control and tending the smoker much easier.

And another hugely popular model of wood/charcoal smoker is the "big green egg" ceramic smoker. Even though I've never personally used one, I've talked to quite a few people who love them to death. They do make accessories that make moving it much easier, but it's one heavy beast.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2012, 12:54.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo