Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Re: Psychonauts 2 Interview Feb 15, 2012, 04:43 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 02:45:
Speaking as someone who chipped in $30, I don't know if any big name developer has a better record of critically-acclaimed commercial flops than Tim Schafer. I don't know how much Scrolls is going to cost to develop, but it might not be $13 million. (Is the market really that saturated? Saturated to me is tower defense, but hell if those aren't still being churned out).

Also, is Bethesda's lawsuit even going anywhere? There hasn't been anything posted about it since October.
Fortunately, with kickstarter, since he only asked for $400k and people are funding him more than he asked for, and since the vast majority of the people funding are getting a copy of the game, whatever it ends up being, its already NOT a commercial flop.

Civil lawsuits take a long time (no constitutional right to speedy trial). I was on jury for a case that didn't get to court until 7 years after the fact. Most of the people who testified couldn't recall too well after that long so it made it hard. With beth, it could be lawyers sending certified letters back and forth, or filing papers, or researching, or who knows what. Remember SCO lawsuit? That took like 7 years to get to a jury, and last I heard the basically dead company was still trying to pursue legal stuff.

As for saturated, yeah. You know that tiny little collectible card game called Magic the Gathering? Notice how its on steam with a new DLC about every other week? Plus, I think most people into that genre want the physical cards such as the foils or rares, there's a ton of magic players nationwide, and the company comes out with more types of boosters every couple months and still makes lots of money. The physical CCG market is the only thing that keeps board game stores alive, thats where they get a huge percentage of their profit. They came out with a F2P one on steam recently too (its been in the top slideshow of deals on steam for a few weeks now) There's a number of other games on steam that offer cards in gameplay too. Some are F2P some are pay.

Its saturated at retail as well as online. Every few months another company comes out with another CCG hoping to cash in. And they often do for a few months or a year, but most of them die out. Reminds me of WoW and how every game studio thinks MMORPG is a magic cash formula and many of them fail horribly (far more of them would succeed if they had a proper business plan to survive on a few hundred thousand subscribers rather than requiring millions of subs to break even).

Example of magic game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/49470/
Notice it has FORTY TWO dlc packs? After only about 6 months? At $1 each thats actually not as bad as buying the physical boosters and cards. Some people spend thousands of bucks putting together physical tournament magic decks, including buying rare foil cards that go for $100+ each.

I've actually never played any magic games, but I've played boardgames and have friends who are into it so I know a fair amount of overview about it.
If you feel like getting into a huge time and massive money sink, here's some more links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering
http://www.wizards.com/Company/Brands/Magic.aspx
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Default.aspx
If you goto a game store when a new booster season/expansion has been released at midnight, people will be buying boosters like mad and throwing commons into the trash. You can get your start by picking up a bunch of discarded commons, or grab a big pile of them on ebay for cheap.
There's 400,000+ items on ebay in the magic gathering category:
ebay Link

There's 12 million people worldwide playing magic (mostly physical cards), which is actually more than WoW players at this point lol.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2012, 05:16.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo