Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 11, 2012, 00:01 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:16:
What else can i compare it to but the top reference.. true its a mod but it still enhances the core game this remake is supposed to be remaking.

Thats the first thing a remake should have taken inspiration from, no? Modders literally already made a JA2 remake, and thats JA2 1.13 - the standard reference for this genre with no equal.

As someone else has mentioned, it would be awesome if they could have done this but at the same time, that mod has been in development for 7 years. Yes, just the mod alone. Considering that, plus the near 5 year development time for JA2 and you've got a development timeline that is impossible to match for any but the largest and most well funded studios, and none of them would be willing to spend that much time on a genre that isn't in vogue at the moment, not to mention on a single platform.

I'd love to have seen a lot of the features from 1.13 make it into the game, I'd love to have seen most of the features taken out from vanilla in the game, but neither is really likely to happen. For now I'll enjoy the game for what it is, and I'll keep bugging the developers to implement new (or old) features.

They've already said they've not ruled out fog of war as an option in the future. They said they tried it and it 'wasn't fun', which is a pretty idiotic thing to say, but with enough cajoling we might get them to put it back in as an option at the very least.

To each their own, but unlike some here I'd rather support a developer that is remaking or continuing titles I enjoy and encourage them to try and improve, rather than refuse to buy and insult the devs until no one bothers making these games again, ever.

As I said earlier in the thread, the game has been decent fun for me and as far as I'm concerned, it's a solid game. It's not as good as the original, but if people are only going to accept a game as "good" if it's better than arguably the best tactical game of all time, then all they've done is guarantee their own perpetual disappointment.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo