Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

115. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 23:38 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 15:54:
Plasmas suck in sunlight. It's the only issue with them. If the sun hits them they're virtually useless, and even during the day they feel a bit dim. I have the 58VT25, which was the 2010 flagship, and adore the thing. Not a single day goes by that I don't marvel at how smart a purchase it was. But for that 25 minutes a day it's in sunlight it's frustrating. Fortunately I'm watching it during those 25 minutes maybe once a month.

LCD/LED, especially locally dimming, is nice, and a must if you get a lot of direct sunlight where you're placing your TV, but only a few brands are worthwhile (definitely not Sharp), and the 2011 TVs were a step back from the 2010 in image quality. There was a push for thinness and looks over image quality, and there was a move to glossy to make up for this, which did a lot to negate the direct sunlight advantage of LCDs. Indirect bright rooms, though, it still triumphs by being much brighter than a plasma.

But man, a high quality plasma that's been professionally calibrated is a thing of beauty.

Strange. I wonder if that's a personal thing. I tend to watch our Plasma right during the time when the glare from the window is visible in it (it's an angled glare, however, more of a "I can see the window in the reflection") and it really doesn't bother me. I forget it's there within second. At the same time, when sunlight hits my LED (window is straight behind it), it annoys me so much that I finally just give up and close the curtains even though it's 2pm.

Edit :
One thing to keep in mind that no one mentioned is that they are hefty, my friend has one that is like 75-100 pounds easily

Holy shit. Did he get one made out of fucking concrete? My 46" plasma weighs like 40 odd pounds?

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo