Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2012, 11:21 Veterator

Halo wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 20:46:
Nobody ever seems upset that prisoners are used as free (well you and i pay for it) labor for a good amount of corporations and the US military supplies. 5% of the world are Americans 25% of the worlds prisoners are american. The best reintroduction of slave labor if I have ever seen it.

It's not that they are working that concerns me as much as them having an easy supply of labor by just putting a few new laws on the books or enforcing vague ones with a little more stringency or arranging for their labor force to stay longer. That's the most concerning aspect, and I think it covers the next most concerning aspect.....because if they didn't have a readily and potential expanding workforce....the contracts they have wouldn't be possible to maintain.

So obviously second aspect is that they are taking people off the streets, putting them to work...when if they could have gotten the job they were doing in prison while they were free at a prevailing wage (like most government contract work is) then they may not have ended up in jail.

Break the most concerning aspect which affects us all, since we could just as easily be the next "heinous offender" flavor of the week. Then we can address number 2, moving prison labor jobs into the free market like they should be. Because government and corporations generating profit from handling criminals (questionable or legitimate crimes) is like a for profit health system, it leads down path of most profit and not best practices.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo