Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

154. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 19, 2012, 22:37 necrosis

Sepharo wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 19:45:
Dev wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 01:54:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 01:32:
I don't think there are any intentional cases of Steam games running without Steam.
There are. Someone made an argument in a blues thread about being able to do it with most games on steam, so I decided to test it out. I tested about 50 of my collection of games and only found a couple that would work properly. So the guy's argument was false about "most." Many of them crapped out with errors when trying to do so, a couple would let you play to some degree after the errors, and a couple would let you play normally without steam. I don't recall exactly, but I have the impression they were more indie type games. Which is why I think its because they didn't bother to integrate the steam authorization system into the exe. I'm not going to go back and test it again though.

It's hard to prove intention but I'd have to agree with Jerykk here. Any Steam game that runs without Steam is likely a happy accident not an intentional effort to work without Steam. But that goes both ways too, those same games likely didn't have any work done on them to force them to run with Steam either.
FFXI runs without Steam and it is fully intentional. Steam is nothing more than a downloader for that game... and not even a full one. After downloading the game with Steam (in less than a hour) you need another 6-8 hours of updates (through the FFXI updater).

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo