Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

94. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 21:10 Jerykk

Dev wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 20:42:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 19:58:
On a side note, what exactly is it about Steam's content delivery rules that EA can't accept? DAO and ME1 and 2 both have DLC that cannot be downloaded from Steam. So what makes DA2, Crysis 2, BF3 and ME3 unique?
The most likely explanation I've seen is that valve saw EA trying to sell exclusive DLC through its own games on steam (without also offering the option to sell the DLC through steam), and realized that the already signed agreements didn't stop them from doing that. Valve didn't expect anyone to pull that kinda trick. And it would have been bad if the F2P games started doing that because then steam would get NOTHING in return for hosting those games. So when the next game from EA came up (I believe it right around DA2), valve put a thing in the agreement that said they couldn't do that unless they also sold the DLC through steam. EA signed the change, didn't care about the contract and kept doing their crap, valve called them on it, and EA had 2 choices.
A) They could have agreed to ALSO sell the DLC through steam as well as through their own channels.
B) OR they could just pull that game and say "screw you valve."

They of course chose the latter. The other games are still there because the agreement signed for them didn't prohibit them from that kinda thing.

If Valve really has a rule requiring that all DLC be available on Steam, then why haven't DAO, ME1 and ME2 been removed from Steam yet? Crysis 2 and DA2 were on Steam initially and then removed later, showing that such a rule would be retroactively enforced. They would have never been put on Steam in the first place if Valve didn't agree with the initial contract. Dirt 2 and 3 also have DLC that isn't available on Steam, yet they haven't been removed.

The whole thing just seems too inconsistent to be an actual Steam rule. Given that only the newest and higher-profile EA titles have been removed (Alice: Madness Returns is still available on Steam), it seems much more likely that EA requested that they be removed, not Valve.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo