Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

79. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 D-Rock

Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 23:39:
id made Q3 a multiplayer-only game because multiplayer was always the best and most popular part of the series. Why waste time with a generic and forgettable single-player campaign which nobody will care about? id tried that with Doom 3 and it didn't end very well. Same could be said of RAGE. If id were smart, they'd go back to multiplayer-only games, preferably PC-exclusives.

Amen.

There's a lot to be said for the 'easy to pick up, easy to put down' multiplayer games. Deathmatch and its team-based derivatives have always been popular. I'd argue that the genre is the 'original' internet based multiplayer game and it's stayed popular for a good reason (just look at Quake Live).

'Quake Team Arena 2' or something similar to that would have probably been a better showcase for the new engine (I wish I could say how well id tech 5 works for multiplayer, but I haven't even had a chance to play it yet). Anyone else agree? id has done deathmatch really well since Doom. The hardcore deathmatch players tend to not care about texture quality so maybe there's a niche for it. I really want to see what the modding community will come up with for multiplayer since id obviously hasn't. A team-based Mad Max mod could be really cool!

Thanks for reminding me of how fun just a simple game of deathmatch can be. I got married a couple of years ago and have wasted too much money on single player games since my time goes into more important things. Heck, I don't think I've even finished a single player game since Half-Life (yeah, pretty sad huh?) so maybe I need to go back to old school

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo