Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

238. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 11, 2012, 11:02 RollinThundr

Peeling wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 04:58:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 18:14:
Diablo 2 had options for 3DFX Glide FYI.

2. Pure offline support is extra work - extra work that creates a clunkier user experience. Offline progress that can't go online. Online characters that have to be duplicated and made permanently offline if played offline once. Locally saved progress. Confirmation boxes saying "Yes, I'm sure I want to sit here, connected to the internet, leveling a character that can't trade or play with anyone else because I find the enforced option of being able to trade or play with others unaccountably offensive." It all adds up.

3. It makes business sense to Blizzard for them to make (and keep) it as easy as possible for you to play with friends, because it helps drive sales.

4. It's useful, as someone already pointed out, for Blizzard to be able to track their players' activities in order to refine future products. In general, I'm not a fan of being tracked. In this case, I don't have a problem with it because better games from Blizzard are something I'm already interested in.

So is that the new mantra? PC Gaming is dying will be replace by PC Single player games are dying? Sorry, still not convinced.

I didn't say that. I said that pure single player experiences are no longer the core of big budget gaming. The ratio varies from platform to platform, but overall that's the picture.

Oh yeah man wow D2 was so clunky having both SP and MP gosh how could anyone deal with having to choose between playing offline and online with one mouse click, oh the HORROR!
If it so much extra work why do other developers even make single player components or pure single player games at all? Skyrim is a single player big budget title that has sold millions, same with DE:HR, or Dragon Age Origins, or the first couple Mass Effect titles just as some examples. Your arguement is just flat out weak.

If it's "SO MUCH WORK!111eleventy1!" why aren't all PC titles MP only? You're not even trying to back up the arguement you're trying to make and are instead making yourself look very silly.

Bioware's recent SP titles have optional telemetry tracking to send back to the devs to show them what choices players made to refine further titles. The key word being optional. There is zero benefit to the customer to force them into an always on DRM laiden system.

For the amount people bitch up a storm about DRM from other publishers, why does Blizzard always get a pass for making bone headed decisions like this? I just fail to grasp why they are so special since I don't wear blinders and think their games are really any better. D2 still had what, 14 patches over the course of it's life cycle?

Why not just be honest, admit you prolly work for Blizzard and don't have one good reason from your handlers as to why this decision was made.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo