Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

195. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 10, 2012, 10:13  Peeling 

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 09:58:
I think some people are getting hung up on the generic 'single player therefore should be offline' angle. Diablo 3 isn't a 'single player game'. It's a game you can play single player, AND take the character you build and jump into games with your friends AND trade the items you find, and to have THAT kind of game you need to be continuously connected.

I don't understand how your example applies, the mouse and keyboard are not standard input peripherals for that platform. That's also hardware functionality and a whole different ballgame IMO. The consumer does have an expectation of separated functionality based on both history of this series and others. You present bringing a character online as some sort of new feature but that sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

As for "single player should be offline", I don't think most people are necessarily hung up on that as they are that going offline should not harm the singleplayer experience. Even if they are, maybe they're hung up on "single player should have the option of going offline" which isn't exactly an unreasonable expectation.

But it's not single player, any more than wandering off into a deserted part of WoW makes it 'single player'.

Why not offer functionality that would let people set an offline token in case they need to travel or get temporarily disconnected? That's certainly more helpful than "you can bring your toon online and talk to friends". There are other considerations like security but again these are issues Blizzard has previously dealt with already. I see what they're getting from a design perspective but it seems to me that consumers potentially eat a lot of crap with this and don't get much in return.

Ok, let's add such a token. Now all your progress while that token is set has to be lost when you go back online, because Blizzard can't possibly trust it. You end up with some ugly online/offline separation where you end up having to play the game twice if you make the wrong choice to begin with.

Of course, you'll still be able to make that wrong choice. There'll be an offline hack for it sooner or later, so you'll get to juggle online and offline characters. But why on earth should Blizzard sanction that choice and spend time developing in that direction?

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo