Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement Jan 6, 2012, 11:59 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:59:
Beamer:

Don't take offense by this, but if you work in the games industry I hope it's not in a creative capacity. You don't show any vision at all (at least on this forum) and always deal in cold numbers. It was you, after all, that told me no company would opt to make a Turn-based X-COM sequel over a FPS because of the money. It may not sell as well as a FPS (then again it could - Firaxis, after all), but there's little doubt in my mind this one will be a better game.

Prez, and was I wrong? How is the property being predominantly used? In order to make a strategy title they first made an FPS.

Anyway, I appreciate you saying "at least on this forum." I do not currently work in the video game industry, but to give a bit on my job:
25% is simple brainstorming/think-tanking. This is 100% creative. I find growth strategies.
25% is a variation of that. It's problem solving. I find what the company is doing wrong, or not doing well enough. I find the exact reason for that. I tell people to fix that.
50% is making people make decisions. It's a less jerky version of how I post here. It's making people see things from the eyes of other people (and I'm the guy that's known for repeatedly saying "and that benefits the consumer how?")

For instance, let's say I'm working with a CGP company that does oral care. Their customers (e.g., grocery stores, drug stores, etc.) are expecting a product revision in 10 months, and expecting 100,000 units. Their competitors will be refreshing their product at the same time. The company has a budget of $1 million for the revision.
-R&D thinks they are on the verge of a breakthrough that will make the product much more effective and therefore far better for consumers. They're 80% sure they can have this ready in 9 months for $700k, and 60% sure they can have it ready in 7 months for $800k.
-Marketing has spoken with consumers and found they're demanding new flavors. The product is already the most effective, and making a new formula won't necessary result in more sales, but expanding flavors will. New flavors will take 6 months and $500k, but will take all of R&Ds time. The new formula, marketing argues, should be the following revision, not the immediate one.
-Logistics wants new packaging. New packaging will make the product cheaper to ship and take less shelf space, which the customer is demanding. Marketing is behind this, too, as consumers complain that the current packaging isn't intuitive and it's too hard to get the final 10% of the product out. New packaging will cost a the full $1 million and take 4 months to develop.
-Manufacturing doesn't give a damn what happens, they just need to know soon. If there's new packaging they need to buy entire new machinery. if there's a new formula they may need new machinery. They're also close to capacity so need to know new volume estimates so that they know what kind of expansion they need and how much of the old machinery they need to purchase, if any. It also takes them a month to ramp up after any changes and they can only produce at 75,000 units per month, so they need two and a half months if they can expect to hit that 100,000 unit commitment made to the customers.

My job is solving this. I don't make the decisions, but I make every single person stop caring only about their own problems and understand what every other group cares about and why. I help them prioritize what they actually care about and, hopefully, see past their own incentive and do what's best for the company as a whole, which is usually what's best for the consumer, which is rarely what anyone actually gets their performance review or bonus on.
Which is why it drives me nuts when some posters here only care about their own crap.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo