Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

57. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 6, 2012, 09:34 Verno

Actually, the FACTS are that in the US 60%+ have broadband access. 37% of those that do not said "not interested", 26% said "too expensive" and 18% said "no computer". These numbers are 2 years old, the numbers with broadband will have only increased in that time.

Doesn't really say much though is the problem. The quality of the connection the person has is a lot more telling, particularly when you're trying to evaluate potential interruption in things that requiring ongoing sessions instead of just intermittent usage.

Many people are left with a single oversold internet provider, the majority might have a second choice and rural areas are frequently left with satellite/wireless providers. It'd be great if we all had Verizon FTTH and didn't need to worry about minor problems messing with a game we're playing but that's a fantasy. The reality is that there have been more than enough problems and examples related to ongoing DRM to make a case that it should be avoided for non-multiplayer games.

I have a pretty stable connection and I believe that Blizzard designs quality products but this worries me a bit. I also wonder how the future bolds for the non-MMO side of the Warcraft franchise going forward. I don't really believe every game needs to have an online component check regardless of broadband penetration. There's no real design purpose for it, the anti-piracy implications are small judging by how quickly SC2 was pirated and I have yet to hear anyone make a convincing argument. "U ALL GOTS INTERNET, DEAL WITH IT" doesn't really tell me why it should be there other than to inconvenience me.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2012, 09:47.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo