Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

13. Re: Tribes Ascend Q&A: Tribes Universe On Hold; Other Starsiege Games Planned Jan 6, 2012, 03:28 Jerykk

Okay, I managed to get a beta key from Curse.com and play the game for a few hours. It's more entertaining than I thought it would be.

Pros:
1) Spinfusor is still fun to use.
2) Decent sense of speed if you have the FOV set to 120.

Cons:
1) Jetpacks feel pretty weak. They give you minimal vertical acceleration so you end up close to the ground most of the time, which is a pretty significant change from the T1.
2) Disc-jumping seems really underwhelming. It gives you a minimal speed boost. Handy if you're already going fast but pretty useless if you're moving slowly or not at all.
3) Skiing is weird. Feels kind of like T:V, which I wasn't a big fan of thing. In T1, changing direction was largely dependent on terrain in T:A, it's more dependent on holding left or right.
4) Having to unlock loadouts is lame, as expected. Having no ability to customize your loadout is equally lame. I never used my secondary weapon.
5) Grenade throwing is too slow. The grenade should be tossed as soon as you hit the key but there's a relatively long delay.
6) Performance needs work. Even when I drop the settings down to minimum, I can't sustain a constant 60 FPS. Considering that the graphics aren't all that great and I easily get 60 FPS in other UE3 games, this is dumb.
6) Unlockable skills and perks really aren't balanced at all. A player who has them all will have a significant advantage over a player who has none, on top of the inherent advantage of having much more experience playing the game.

Despite the fact that my cons list is three times longer than my pros list, I'm still enjoying it. Maybe I'm just desperate for a shooter that doesn't revolve around cover and hitscan weapons.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo