Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

4. Re: Re:H.P.'s TouchPad, Some Say, Was Built on Flawed Software Jan 3, 2012, 18:07 killer_roach

DangerDog wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 15:27:
H.P. could have grabbed a large chunk of the market with the Touchpad without killing it, of course nobody would buy the thing at $400 but it's a solid piece of hardware and software that could have been a contender at $200-$250.

What surprised me the most about the thing is how open it is, plugging it in and having it come up as a USB drive to drag and drop content to it was a surprise, I was expecting a locked down device requiring some DRM riddled spyware to even copy a .txt file to the thing.

Being able to unlock dev mode on the thing by just entering in a code and the community providing patches via preware just makes it even better.

H.P. was up against a marketing nightmare to grab peoples attention long enough to get anyone to notice the device, the first I heard of it was when the firesale hit.

Beyond just the allegedly flawed software, the hardware was also inferior to its peers as well, with some very unusual (and seemingly nonsensical) hardware design choices (such as its single-channel memory controller that resulted in slow performance relative to the iPad or the Galaxy Tab, even if the TouchPad was hacked to run Android). It seemed like a prototype that HP decided to ship commercially rather than a polished product.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo