Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 13:24 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 10:12:
So, initial impressions. How is the game in the limited time you guys played? How does it compare to WoW in this short time of playtime?

I hated the f*cking smuggler origin story. I detailed my issues with that in the stress test weekend thread a while back. Very immature, boring, I just wanted it to be over so I could move on to better things. Moments of the smuggler story were great, the rest not so much.

Re-rolled an imperial agent and while she plays almost exactly identically to the smuggler (sadly), the story is far more interesting to me.

Also played the first several levels of the sith knight, and that was fun. Haven't gotten farther in that.

It's not revolutionary in a grand sense, but in the MMO field it's pretty impressive. It's actually fun to play, and the absurd experience rewards weren't toned down, which kind of boggles me (I thought I was on an accelerated path, as I hit level 20 in like a day and a half of solid playing). Which is really bizarre since I never made it out of the prologue and there's supposedly an Act 1 story.

Content needs to open way, WAY up. I can see the game sort of being like Guild Wars where you top out relatively early and the rest of the game is end-game content, and that'd be cool.

I really, REALLY wish they'd take space combat off the rails, or at least give us the option to dogfight and keep the rail shooter levels for the more mmo crowd. With an already persistent setup, the idea of guilds/squadrons of players roaming the galaxy, waging war and coordinating battle plans makes me feel funny in my pants.

I mean, a really good x-wing/Tie fighter style space combat sim engine is not unfeasible, and the flashpoint system could set up some *really* interesting scenarios.

I doubt it'll happen though. I'd be happy for a stand-alone game. Hell, I'd pay 15 bucks a month for a Star Wars X-Wing MMO.

PS: The architecture varies from "ho-hum" to "OMFGWTFBBQ" beauty. So far, Hutta was pleasant if uninteresting to look at, the smuggler/soldier starting world was flat out boring and uninteresting, coruscant is a "wow" moment, the sith capital world is a "wow" moment once you actually hit the capital city, and there's some really, really pretty architecture on Korriban. In the general weekend I went to Taris again and saw the wreckage from KOTOR1, which was kind of cool/creepy, but it didn't have much impact.

Other than that I haven't visited any other worlds yet so I can't comment on the art direction, but so far it oddly enough seems very hit and miss. When it hits, it's a home run. When it misses, it's the very most boring of art direction, and that seems to sync up with the parts of the game/story that seem to drag the most.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2011, 13:31.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo