Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

13. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 21:32 Jim

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:18:
Jim wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 12:34:
This is not necessarily a good thing. There has been much discussion of this article in the dark sky preservation community over the past few days.

It is amazing how much detailed thought and planning goes into building just about anything these days, but yet when it comes to lighting, the naive and simplistic "more is better" attitude still reigns supreme. This can be very bad. We lose much more than just our night skies. For an enlightening view of just what happens when we destroy our night, see http://www.thecitydark.com/

So go live in the country then. I never understand people that live in cities who bitch about living in cities, noise, pollution, lighting, etc. No one is forcing you to live in them. You do have choices.

I'm working on that, but the problem is even the country is getting light polluted these days. The small town I grew up in is becoming almost as brightly lit as near the city where I live now. People moved out there from the city and put up dusk to dawn floodlights in their yards that make them look like prison yards or big city parking lots. Completely unnecessary. My argument is similar to yours, if people are afraid of the dark, don't move out of the damn city.

Jim

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo