Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

46. Re: Skyrim Ships 10M; Dec 17, 2011, 14:38 Nucas

DrEvil wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 14:34:
Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 01:04:
And PHJF is correct. Compound adverbs and adjectives before a noun are always hyphenated. I always find it funny when I look at a person's resume who claims they're "detail oriented". Deatil oriented, huh?

Actually, PHJF is [url=http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/hyphens_alternatives_in_compound_adjectives.htm
]not necessarily correct[/url].

If you "google" around, you'll find other websites talking about this as well.

The short version is that usage is determined by editorial or stylistic principles. It's just like "solid state" used to be hyphenated, but is no longer commonly seen that way. The hyphen primarily serves as a way to disambiguate the words in this context, not as a hard and fast requirement.

Another example of changing usage would be that Herman Melville originally published his book titled "Moby-Dick" (note the hyphen), but most individuals would no longer consider that correct.

it was seeing this comment at the top that assured me i was missing no conversation of consequence here.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo