Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: Doom The Way id Did Dec 12, 2011, 15:41 kanniballl

Badboyquake wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 20:09:
i know nobody cares about the old doom. but i tell you all, old games are much better than new ones.

thanks for this news!

In many ways, I have to agree... at least while I have my rose-colored glasses on.

15-20 years ago, it was all about the gameplay and fun. Certain concepts, and even entire genres, we relatively new. So things were both fun and innovative. There weren't photorealistic weapons / plasma bursts / 3D-rendered bossoms to grab our focus... the GAME had to grab our focus.

Today, too many (but not all) games are just eye-candy with a change here or there. Yet another Cod/ModernWarfare version, yet another WWII FPS, yet another "I wear hi-tech battle armor" FPS, etc.

There are still some great games, but with the sheer number out there it's like finding a clean needle in a stack of slightly dirty needles; good luck with that.

It's only of the reason why I've been trying to give platformers and such a try. FPS is just too generic or derivative now-a-days, but you can find truly interesting platformers out there if you look.

Portal was fun because it was a neat puzzle mechanic wrapped in a FPS. The Batman Arkham games were fun because of the fight mechanics and the time spent in design / implementation. But too many times a game is just a re-skin of triple-A title X. We're about 20 years later and we're still play FPS games relying on jump-scares or alternating between FPS games set in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan.

My top 5 games ever are:
- Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
- Super Mario World (SNES)
- Bump n' Jump (from Intellivision)
- Tie Fighter
- Doom

After that (in no particular order)
- Deus Ex
- Half Life
- Half Life 2
- Starcraft
- Quake 3 Arena (fun in college)
- Portal (the end-credits sealed the deal)
- XWing Alliance
etc

Not a whole lot here from the last decade.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2011, 15:51.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo