Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 5, 2011, 14:00 Matshock

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 13:42:
Matshock wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 13:29:
I'm someone who despises MMOs and other "play a 100 hours or you're not allowed to be good" games- I have to admit BF3 is somewhere in the middle. After a little less than 20 hours in I have the SCAR H with some goodies, enough goodies for the M249 to make it work and the mortar for points grinding. I broke 2000 points a round instantly after getting the mortar.

Most mechanics-changing unlocks come pretty early compared to past BF games and especially compared to MMOs and the like.

They're going to nerf the silly ones in this patch so there will be even less to complain about.

We're talking about two different things here. You're talking about acquiring unlocks, I'm talking about their relative measure versus others. It is totally possible to acquire unlocks but grinding out points isn't the goal of the game, the goal of the game is to win and the current unlock system (even without the silly attachments) creates an inherent imbalance without even taking skill sets and other variables into account.

A good team using voicecomms without advanced unlocks is still a potent force but putting them up against an equally skilled team with better unlocks (AGM, CITV, etc) I'd guess that the former rarely wins. Does make the game unplayable? No but it can certainly make for a frustrating affair if you play outside of clans regularly.

I think they could have easily made some design concessions to keep things a bit more level. For example, why does everyone have to unlock each attachment separately for every gun? Why does an LMG get a suppressor? Some of the vehicle unlocks are head scratchers as well.

Don't me wrong, I like BF3. At it's core there is a good game in there but it's a bit of a mess right now and I think they aren't doing new players to the franchise any favors.

Agreed- but where my post intersected with your idea is this: it won't take very long before nearly everyone playing has all the important unlocks that they want.

I.E. I don't want the AGM because after cutting my teeth in WWII sims and moving on to Falcon 4 flying a go-plane in BF3 is boring and frustrating.

If you want to pick at specific unlocks as being problems there's stil some headroom for that sure.

I am curious to see what kind of game BF3 becomes once everyone has their mid-level unlocks. Things will get much harder for the point whores in the near future I bet.
c

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo