Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

13. Starship Troopers Dec 3, 2011, 16:57 jdreyer

Today you could make a more faithful adaptation of the book than Verhoeven's movie, especially considering how much more CG could be used. You could actually have the powered armor, and film the scenes the way Heinlein actually wrote them.

That being said, I think Verhoeven took the right approach to the material. The book is pretty overtly Fascist, and given the lack of success of that political system, satire of said system is the only approach to avoid a critical backlash. Just look at the critical reception of Atlas Shrugged earlier this year, when a totally serious approach to ideology was tried.

As for the camp factor of the 1997 film, the book itself is campy with fake bombs that say "bang" and silliness like that. Verhoeven didn't have to stretch things too far.

I think the original movie holds up very well today, and doesn't NEED a remake, but I think someone like Michael Bay could make a pretty awesome action film from the material. But I'm more interested in seeing Prometheus and Looper.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo