Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 15:37 Teddy

CreamyBlood wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 10:06:
Icewind wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 08:15:
How about they change fluid to "smooth"? Will that placate you?

No mister Dale, it still doesn't mean anything. Movement in Doom was 'smooth'. Movement in Quake 3 was 'smooth'. Movement in Risen, is 'smooth'. What do you mean by it? What should I compare it to and what's the difference?

I've been using ESDF and right-mouse for forward for around fifteen years. What are 'smooth controls'?

What is 'smooth' gameplay? Honestly, what does that mean? People use words like these to explain their reviews of a game or mechanic of a game and it means fuck all. It says nothing.

In the eighties there was a really bad, cheesey song that featured a 'smooth operator'. I understand that. It's vague but applies to something most of us can understand. Now he is a 'fluid operator'? I'm getting images of Terminator 2.

Fluid in terms of movement in a game generally refers to it being free from obstruction. ie. In CoD, if I want to mantle over something waist high, I have to run up to it, press a button and the game stops me, takes control away to play an animation of me climbing over, then when it finishes I can move again. Contrast that to BF3's vaulting, you sprint toward and object, press the button and it vaults you over without the loss of momentum or control that you suffer in CoD.

Take that again vs games like Brink and Mirror's Edge (particularly the latter which does a better job of it) where you press the button as you're sprinting toward and object, the game realizes you're intending to leap over it and does so, if you jumped early, it will grab on the ledge and pull you up rather than dealing with old game mechanics where if you missed the jump by a millimeter, you hit the edge and fall helplessly to the ground, stripping you of any momentum you had instantly without the negative repercussions of such a loss.

When I'm using the term fluid I'm referring to momentum more so than anything else. Anything that interrupts momentum without due reason just makes the gameplay feel more clunky and restrictive than it should. Think walking into a curb in a Tom Clancy game. It's absurd that it should stop you, yet it does. Clunky, restrictive, not smooth, not fluid.

And as for the actual definition of Fluid, it's meant more than the scientific definition for many, many, MANY years. In fact, the original definition of the word WASN'T the scientific definition you're familiar with, the noun came later. The adjective predates it.

fluid

—adj
2. capable of flowing and easily changing shape
3. of, concerned with, or using a fluid or fluids
4. constantly changing or apt to change
5. smooth in shape or movement; flowing

If you're going to be a grammar Nazi, you'll have to do your homework first.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo