Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2011, 19:31 MisterBenn

Creston - I did exactly the same and bought a 32" Samsung HD TV when my old 30" monitor died. It's a UE32C6000 LCD.

I am connected via direct HDMI from my 6950 and there is no problem with sharpness. I did have to go through the options and set a few things to be more computer-relevant rather than TV.

Most important - turn off image post processing. You might have a direct control for turning that off, I struggled with that for a while and on my TV I had to Google around and I discovered that it was engaged automatically once you renamed one of the HDMI ports as a PC input! Before I engaged that the main problem I had was input delay, it was more than half a second and it felt like someone else was operating my mouse... I was horrified. Modern TVs remember this for each input so it won't affect regular TV if you use that too.

Second is to adjust the contrast, it's insanely high by default to penetrate a room and the bright areas can bleed depending on the colours, that might explain the blurriness of text. For example on mine I have picture mode to "Movie" (this is apparently THX compliant and is adjusted for a low level of backlight for movie watching in a fairly dark room), I also have power save mode to Medium (which is lower contrast and backlight). Finally the TV has automatic brightness which also tends to reduce the picture brightness when I play at night. After all of those it's a very similar level of clarity and brightness as a monitor, I can't tell the difference. Right now I am less than 2 feet from the screen and it's totally comfortable and all my surfing / Pro Evoing / Skyrimming (not sure I like that word!) takes place on it. I really did struggle with the picture settings at first (and the default brightness modes are pure pain at such close range) but I got there.

I didn't have to set anything specific with regard to aspect ratio or scaling with mine, I guess experiment with those if you've tried everything else but I think merely connecting via HDMI sets the important stuff correctly.

I am incredibly happy with mine overall, I dropped 1K on the old monitor and this one was 500ish a year ago. They go a bit cheaper than that but this is super slimline and other features are really good. The only slightest drawback is that the response time isn't quite as good as monitors, if someone was intent on competition gaming in something requiring reflexes it might be a tiny disadvantage. It's not really noticable in most games (and it is of course what consoles have all the time) but it's occasionally noticable in Touhou and it's definitely noticable in Tetris the Grand Master which is very timing intensive.

Edit: Still hunting around - in CCC I see my monitor is detected as Samsung PnP (I recall I didn't do anything special here originally) and I have GPU scaling off and ITC processing on (both of which were so by default).

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo