Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 20:06 HorrorScope

Flatline wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 19:40:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 18:25:
In general: I still sit here and wonder exactly how many holes are actually in MS O/S's. To me is seems infinite. As Sony would say "How can this be?". How can top companies even afford to use MS products at all? Security and Safety first, lol. Hope and pray is more like it.

Err... you're assuming that this was a MS product to begin with.

But let's set that aside. Every large program/OS has an incredible number of bugs/conflicts that are constantly patched. Even Linux, Apple, and the other "bulletproof" offerings come full of bugs and exploits. They all get discovered and patched.

I'll post a challenge to you. Please get, say, 100 people together, and write a story, let's say 1 million sentences in length. All of you work on it simultaneously, and then deliver it with no grammar, spelling, or logic inconsistencies. You have, say, 2-3 years to come up with your story, write it, proof it, correct it, and deliver it.

I doubt you'd ever be able to eliminate all the "bugs" even if you worked on it for 10 years, and it's easier to proofread written language than code and how code interacts with itself.

I doubt it is a MS O/S behind this. But I just wanted to state in general that I don't get how such open architectures are created and used by companies that live and die by security well beyond Valve. How do industries think it's ok for a company to come out with a monthly security patch from yesteryear to the end of time it seems? Can they simply not get control of this? If not, a total rebuild of O/S's is in need. Probably being a bit utopian, but when you use O/S's like MS you can never really be that serious nor feel that safe, and as you say the others probably aren't too much better. It's like companies giving us PR about safety first. It's always money first. Stop the charade.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo